Friday, January 11, 2008

Femi Kuti "The Best of", Lakeside "Your Wish is My Command"

FEMI KUTI - THE BEST OF

Femi Kuti - The Best of
Year: 2004


1.Truth Don Die [6:16]10.9 Mb
2.Beng Beng Beng [4:43]8 Mb
3.What Will Tomorrow Bring [5:41]9.3 Mb
4.Sorry Sorry [6:37]11.2 Mb
5.Scatta Head [8:20]13.9 Mb
6.Do Your Best featuring MoS Def [6:10]9.6 Mb
7.Walk on the Right Side [5:59]9.5 Mb
8.Traitors of Africa [5:29]9.3 Mb
9.97 [6:07]9.7 Mb
10.Fight to Win featuring Jaguar Wright [3:55]6.1 Mb
11.Missing Link featuring Common [7:14]10.6 Mb
12.Stop Aids [3:16]5.1 Mb

Femi Kuti "The Best of" Album Review

mixed motives on great music
This is music absolutely deserving all of five stars, but it *does* seem superfluous. Two albums, and then a best of? Obviously a marketing, money-making move.

As someone who has both discs, and who loves African dance music in general and the Kutis specifically, I completely agree with Fuchs's review.

However, as I seek to introduce Femi to those not initiated to Afrobeat, this seems like a good choice. It really does have my favorite tracks from each CD, without question.

If you haven't heard or don't own Femi's music, and aren't sure you can handle two CDs, this is a great selection of FANTASTIC music by Femi, the crown prince if Afrobeat music: that blissful fusion of traditional Nigerian Yoruba music, classic African pop music, reggae, jazz, hip-hop, and a large dose of funk.

But if you already have either Shoki Shoki or Fight to Win, forget this and just go buy the other one. It's even better than whichever one you already have!






LAKESIDE - YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND

Lakeside - Your Wish is My Command
Year: 1982


1.Your Wish is My Command [5:57]6 Mb
2.Something About that Woman [5:00]5 Mb
3.I Want to Hold Your Hand [4:54]4.9 Mb
4.Special [5:07]5 Mb
5.Magic Moments [5:48]5.9 Mb
6.The Urban Man [4:21]4.4 Mb
7.Ill Be Standing by [4:30]4.5 Mb
8.The Songwriter [4:30]4.5 Mb

Lakeside "Your Wish is My Command" Album Review

Superb 80's funk 'n' soul
Lakeside are another one of those rather understated but widely acknowledged giants of 80's funk and soul who were serious .. correction .. very serious MUSICIANS in every respect.

If the reader is unfamiliar with Lakeside then perhaps "Magic Moments" and "Special" may be worthwhile samples to audition, or if cool is more your thing, then perhaps "Urban Man".

Lakeside's "Your wish is my command" is the very first album - err . record .. I ever bought - and what a proud day that was. What a joy to see it digitally remastered onto CD

I first heard the title track "Your wish is my command" on the radio and took notice of the excellent bassline, the superb drums and rhythm and figured I would have no objections to hearing what else was on the album. It must have been a whole week later before I heard "Special" and decided I had heard enough. It was time to buy me a record!

A dilemma shortly ensued. I had enough cash for just one record (hey! I was still at school) and there was a shortlist to choose from which included Skyy. A close friend advised me to sample "Magic moments" at the record shop before I made up my mind. I was blown away and there could only be one winner after that for me.

"Magic Moments" has remained one of my all time 80's favourites and the track upholds the "timeless" reputation of these 80's gems. Amazing sound stage when you use high quality headphones!

"Urban man" and "I wanna hold your hand" were the perfect icing for when it made it sense to give the dancing shoes a break.

And now for the jury ..

Pros: Excellent compositions! Magic Moments, Special, Your Wish is My command are timeless classics that would not be out of place in any serious collectors portfolio.

Cons: CD quite rare and a little on the expensive side. A track or two still to do that "grow on you" thing for me.

Verdict: No regrets! Great album!

Video Lakeside - Your Wish Is My Command (1982)

Rare video by Ohio funk outfit from SOLAR records!! Enjoy!!






No comments: